Profile of HIV in Minnesota
Originally Published: 04/29/2019
Data from the 2018 Minnesota Department of Health HIV/STD Surveillance report revealed the following information about HIV across the state.
- In 2018, 286 new cases of HIV were reported in Minnesota
- Over half of new HIV cases in Minnesota for 2018 are among communities of color.
- Women of color made up 70% of all the newly diagnosed females in 2018.
- As of December 31, 2018, 8,981 people are known to be living with HIV in Minnesota.
- 1,000 Minnesotans are estimated to be living with HIV without knowing it.
- 49.9% of people living with HIV in Minnesota are at or below 400% of Federal Poverty Guidelines and rely on services through a network of non-profit organizations like JustUs Health
- Gay, bisexual men, and men who have sex with men (MSM) continue to be disproportionately impacted by HIV in Minnesota at a rate that is more than 60% higher than non-MSM men.