Anal Hygiene for a Healthy Sex Life
Hygiene is a big concern when you’re having anal sex. Anal sex can be messy, even if you’re wearing a condom.
That said, it’s very important that you do not use enemas (douche) before anal sex. If you’re not constipated, or your doctor hasn’t instructed you to do so, you should avoid enemas in general.
Using liquids to purge the bowel is a very risky activity:
- Anything other than water can cause irritation to the lining of your rectum. Irritation makes it easier for infections to enter the bloodstream, which makes you more likely to get HIV or another STI.
- Water that’s too hot can burn the lining of your rectum. This makes you more likely to get HIV or another STI for the same reasons listed above.
- Flooding your rectum with water, ironically enough, dehydrates the colon. If a condom were to break during anal sex and your colon was dehydrated, it would suck up other bodily fluids to compensate. If your partner is HIV-positive, it makes you more likely to get HIV.
- Purging with water can make your body begin to rely on enemas to have a bowel movement. After enough enemas, you won’t be able to defecate without them.
Fortunately, there are easy steps you can take to clean before sex:
- Wipe the area down with a moist cloth.
- Don’t eat for a few hours before sex. Eating stimulates the bowel.
- Fill a small ear syringe with warm (not hot) water and gently squeeze it into your rectum. This small amount of water – compared to an enema -will not cause damage and should remove any residue.
At the end of the day, sex is usually messy. Listen to your body, and if it doesn’t feel good, stop. Take care of yourself, and remember that there’s nothing that a little soap and water can’t usually clean up.
THIS SITE CONTAINS HIV PREVENTION MESSAGES THAT MAY NOT BE APPROPRIATE FOR ALL AUDIENCES. SINCE HIV INFECTION IS SPREAD PRIMARILY THROUGH SEXUAL PRACTICES OR BY SHARING NEEDLES, PREVENTION MESSAGES AND PROGRAMS PRESENTED ON THIS WEBSITE MAY ADDRESS THESE TOPICS. IF YOU ARE NOT SEEKING SUCH INFORMATION OR MAY BE OFFENDED BY SUCH MATERIALS, PLEASE EXIT THIS WEBSITE.