Condoms are the number one safer-sex tool. We always stock a wide variety here at Rainbow Health.
Using a condom correctly every time you have anal or vaginal sex is the most effective way to prevent the spread of HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases such as syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia, and herpes.
In order to get the most protection out of condoms, they need to be used correctly. Here’s how:
- Keep condoms out of extreme cold or heat—this includes your back pocket!
- Check the condom’s expiration date and seal. Don’t use an expired condom!
- Pinch the reservoir tip and roll it down to the base of your penis.
- Don’t double up on condoms—it could cause them to tear.
- Avoid oil-based lubricants—they wear out the condom’s latex. Silicone and water-based lubes work perfectly with latex condoms.
- Hold on to the condom when you pull out to avoid spilling fluids.
Need a condom? We carry many different types. Here’s a highlight of some of the condoms we have available in the community at Rainbow Health and at LGBTQ establishments in the Twin Cities:
- Extra-pleasure condoms have an oversized tip. Because the tip is oversized, it is less constricting on your penis. Many people say it feels more ‘natural.’
- Extra-large condoms are for big boys—girth, not length! It’s the largest condom we carry.
- You may have heard of the female condom or the bottom condom. Like the name suggests, the bottom condom is great for anyone looking to bottom. Once inserted, it can be worn for up to eight hours before having sex.
Other condoms we carry include snugger fit, ribbed pleasure, tuxedo, ultra-thin, non-latex, and regular. Figure out what kinds of condoms work best for you: there’s something for everyone, and using condoms significantly reduces risk.
Where to Get Them?
If you need condoms and lube for your own personal use, just stop by the front desk at Rainbow Health and the Minnesota AIDSLine will hook you up.
If you need condoms and lube for a special event, such as a play party, please contact the Rainbow Health Risk Reduction team member or email your request to email@example.com. We can only fulfill requests from within the Twin Cities metro area.
You can also snag yourself one of Rainbow Health’s safer-sex kits during one of our outreach shifts at gay bars downtown.
THIS SITE CONTAINS HIV PREVENTION MESSAGES THAT MAY NOT BE APPROPRIATE FOR ALL AUDIENCES. SINCE HIV INFECTION IS SPREAD PRIMARILY THROUGH SEXUAL PRACTICES OR BY SHARING NEEDLES, PREVENTION MESSAGES AND PROGRAMS PRESENTED ON THIS WEBSITE MAY ADDRESS THESE TOPICS. IF YOU ARE NOT SEEKING SUCH INFORMATION OR MAY BE OFFENDED BY SUCH MATERIALS, PLEASE EXIT THIS WEBSITE.